Avatars of Vishnu
The frieze shown in the image depicts six of the Dashavataras (ten incarnations) of Vishnu. Here is the list from left to right:
– Kurmavatara – Turtle
– Matsyavatara – Fish
– Mohiniavatara – Mohini, the female seductress
– Narasimhavatara – Man – lion
– Varahavatara– Wild boar
– Ramavatara – Rama
This frieze is located on the fifth section of the wall from the main entrance and below the jālandhara (perforated screen) that depicts Vishnu reclining on Adisheshaa, the seven-headed king of serpents.
Check the Dashavatara painting from the Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals for a list and descriptions of all the ten avatars of Vishnu.
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Masterpiece of Hoysala Temple Art
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.