Lower Shivalaya in Badami
The image shows the remnants of once magnificent temple, now known as Lower Shivalaya, built on the red sandstone cliffs located north of Agastya Lake in Badami, Karnataka, India.
Only the inner sanctum and the tower above it have survived. The idol in the inner sanctum is missing. The temple was originally dedicated to Vatapi Ganapathi and was well known in olden times. Even today, Carnatic musicians invoke the blessings of Vatapi Ganapathi by singing Vatapi Ganapathi Bhajeyam.
Note: Vatapi is the former name of Badami. Ganapathi is another name of Ganesha, a son of Shiva.
– Malegitti Shivalaya – Located west of Lower Shivalaya
– Upper Shivalaya – Located above Lower Shivalaya
– Yellamma Temple – Located on the west side of the Agastya Lake
– Bhuthanatha Temple – Located on the eastern shore of the Agastya Lake
– Agatsya Lake – A view from the Badami Caves
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.