Parashurama – The sixth avatar of Vishnu
The image shows a sculptural relief of Parashurama, the sixth avatar of Vishnu, mounted on the outer wall surrounding the southern garbhagriha of Somanathapura Keshava Temple in Karnataka, India. Check the Dashavatara (Ten incarnations of Vishnu) mural painted on the ceiling of the Virupaksha Temple in Hampi.
The depictions of Parashurama with standard iconography show him holding an ax, his signature weapon. In this relief, he is holding the ax with his right hand. As you can see from the image, part of the ax handle is broken, but the blade is intact.
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
Badami Chalukya Temples:
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Durga Temple at Aihole
– Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals
Angkor Wat Temples:
– Angkor Wat Temple, Angkor Wat Bas-Reliefs, Banteay Srei Temple in Cambodia
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.