Parashurama – The sixth avatar of Vishnu
The image shows a sculptural relief of Parashurama, the sixth avatar of Vishnu, carved on the outer wall surrounding the southern garbhagriha of Somanathapura Keshava Temple in Karnataka, India. Check the Dashavatara (Ten incarnations of Vishnu) mural painted on the ceiling of the Virupaksha Temple in Hampi.
The Parashurama iconography typically has him holding an ax, his signature weapon. In this relief, he is holding it with his right hand. As you can see from the image, part of the ax handle is broken, but the blade is intact.
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple
– Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.