Puerta del León – Main entrance to the Real Alcázar of Seville
Located opposite to the eastern end of the Seville Cathedral and on the Plaza del Triunfo, the Puerta del León is the main entrance to the Real Alcázar, and visitors enter this door and walk through the Patio de León (Courtyard of the Lion) to enter the Real Alcázar complex.
Embedded in the wall above the door is a beautiful emblem of a lion carrying a cross, which is responsible for the name Puerta del León, which means Lion’s Gate in Spanish. The wall of this gate is from Almohad times, but the emblem is recent, made in 1892 of Triana Ceramic tiles in a local factory named Mensaque.
The Puerta del León is not the only entrance to the Real Alcázar; There is another located at the intersection of Calle Menendez Pelayo and Calle San Fernando, used mostly for special occasions.
Related Posts and Pages
– Seville Cathedral: An awe-inspiring architectural marvel
— Sala Capitular – The Chapter House of the Seville Cathedral
— Sacristía Mayor – The Main Sacristy of the Seville Cathedral
– La Giralda: A harmonious blend of Moorish and Renaissance architectural styles
– Las Setas of Seville – A modern artistic structure in a historical city
– Real Alcázar of Seville: Pedro I Palace – A masterpiece of Mudéjar art and architecture
– Real Alcázar of Seville: Casa de Contratación (House of Trade)
Copyright © 2020 – 2023 by YatrikaOnce. All rights reserved.