Vishnu riding his vehicle Garuda
This beautiful sculpture of Vishnu is installed in one of the six devakoshtas (niches) built into the inner wall of the pradakshina patha (circumambulation path) of the Durga Temple, located in Aihole, Karnataka, India.
As you can see, Vishnu has four arms (two of which are broken) and is riding his vehicle Garuda. Standing with an elegant tribhanga stance to his right is his consort Lakshmi.
Here is the list of sculptures in the six devakoshtas:
1. East: Shiva with his vehicle Nandi
2. Middle: Narasimhavatara, the fourth avatar of Vishnu
3. West: Vishnu riding Garuda – Current image
4. West: Varahavatara, the third avatar of Vishnu
5. Middle: Durga Mahishasuramardini (Slayer of Mahishasura)
6. East: Harihara
– Durga Temple at Aihole
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Masterpiece of Hoysala Temple Art
– Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals
Copyright © 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.