Surya, the Sun God
The image shows a beautifully carved statue of Surya, the sun god, standing in a small shrine behind the Nandi Mantapa (pavilion) located outside the temple and in front of the second garbhagriha (inner sanctum).
Majestically standing on a pedestal is Surya holding a lotus flower in each hand and is accompanied by his consorts Ushas (Goddess of Dawn) and Chhaya (Goddess of Shadow) at the bottom. Below the pedestal is a seven-horse chariot driven by Aruna, Surya’s sarathi (charioteer).
Surya Related Images
– Staue of Surya standing in the Nandi Temple in the Prambanan Temple complex located in Yogyakarta, Indonesia
– Surya sculpture mounted on the outer wall of the Somanathapura Keshava Temple in Karnataka, India
– Surya bas-relief carved into the ceiling of the Virupaksha Temple in Pattadakal, Karnataka, India
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple
Badami Chalukya Temples
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Durga Temple at Aihole
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.