Lotus bud surrounded by endless knot on the ceiling
The ceiling of the Navaranga has 16 finely-carved rectangular sections, i.e., nine sectors in the sabhamantapa (congregation hall), and seven sectors in the mukhamantapa (porch). The theme of the carvings is different phases of a blooming lotus bud.
As you can see from the image, the ceiling is recessed with a oval-shaped niche and is carved with mesmerizing circular patterns at different levels of the niche. At the center is a beautifully carved lotus bud surrounded by an endless knot, which in turn is enclosed by oval-shaped carving.
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
Badami Chalukya Temples
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Durga Temple at Aihole
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.