Dancing at the inauguration of Bharata
The image shows a bas-relief carved on the inner walls of the balustrade surrounding the inner sanctum of the Shiva Temple at Prambanan. It depicts a dancing scene at the inauguration of Bharata as the king of Ayodhya, an episode from the Hindu epic Ramayana.
Bharata is a half brother of then crown-prince Rama. Although Rama, who is the eldest son of Dasharatha, was the legal heir to the throne, Bharata’s mother Kaikeyi convinced Dasharatha to make Bharatha the king of Ayodhya and banish Rama to the forest for fourteen years.
Check the Prambanan Bas-Reliefs page to read more about the bas-reliefs in the Prambanan temples.
Ramayana Related Images
– King Dasharatha’s funeral
– Rama slaying Mareecha
– Ravana kidnapping Sita
– Rama killing Viradha
– Rama killing Kabandha
– Vanara Sené building Rama Setu
Other Related Images
– Shiva Temple
– Corridor surrounding the inner sanctum of the Shiva Temple
– Prambanan, Prambanan Bas-Reliefs, Borobudur, Bali, Indonesia
– Angkor Wat, Angkor Wat Bas-Reliefs, Banteay Srei, Cambodia
Copyright © 2020 – 2021 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.