A fresco in the Monastery of Varlaana
The image shows a fresco inside the the Monastery of Varlaana.
The towering rocks of Meteora are home to several Greek Orthodox monasteries. Because of serenity and isolation, monks started building monasteries on top of rocks in the 14th century. Back in the 16th century, there were 24 monasteries. Now they have dwindled to six active monasteries, and all of them are open to the public. Of the six, two of them are nunneries.
List of Monasteries
- Monastery of Russano – Nunnery
- Monastery of Varlaana
- Monastery of Saint Stephen – Nunnery
- Monastery of Great Meteoron – Male monks only. Also know as Holy Monastery of Transfiguration and Monastery of Metamorfossis
- Monastery of Saint Nicholos Anapafsas
- Monastery of Aghia Triada (Holy Trinity) – Male monks only
Athens, Olympia, Delphi, Meteora, Greek Islands, Greece
Minoan Civilization, Mycenaean Civilization
Copyright © 2017 – 2019 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.