Canopy of the Altarpiece
The image shows the canopy above the massive Retablo Mayor (altarpiece) of the Capilla Mayor (Main Chapel). As you can see, the canopy is ornate with geometrical patterns containing carvings of 30 identical recessed hexagons arranged in three rows.
Above the canopy, there is a row of 13 compartments, each containing a relief. The relief at the center of this row depicts Mary holding the body of Jesus on her lap, and flanking this relief are the reliefs of the 12 Apostles, six on each side.
Check these pages for a detailed description of the Retablo Mayor:
– Retablo Mayor – Altarpiece of the Main Chapel
– Canopy of the Altarpiece
– Virgen de la Sede (Virgin of the See) – Patron saint of the Seville Cathedral
– Altar Mayor – Main Altar
Related Posts and Pages
– Seville Cathedral: An awe-inspiring architectural marvel
— Sala Capitular – The Chapter House of the Seville Cathedral
— Sacristía Mayor – The Main Sacristy of the Seville Cathedral
– La Giralda: A harmonious blend of Moorish and Renaissance architectural styles
– Las Setas of Seville – A modern artistic structure in a historical city
Copyright © 2020 – 2021 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.