This is the right-side view of the sabhamantapa (congregation hall) and the two aisles separated by squre-shaped pillars. Check the ground plan to get its location.
An elegantly-carved staircase at the center leads to the garbhagriha (inner sanctum), which is at a higher level than the subhamantapa. The figures on the wall on either side of staircase are the dwarapalas of Vishnu. Surrounding the door to the garbhagriha are multiple layers of exquisite artwork.
Notice the ceiling. It is neatly divided into nine sectors, each carved with a bas-relief. At the center is Brahma and around him are the Ashtadikpalas (eight guardians of the directions).
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Durga Temple at Aihole
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple – A Masterpiece of Hoysala Temple Art
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
– Hampi Virupaksha Temple Murals
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.