Reliefs of the altarpiece
The reliefs shown in the image are part of the Retablo Mayor (main altarpiece) situated behind the main altar of the Seville Cathedral. It is an incredible work of art comprising of 44 compartments, each containing poly-chromed reliefs carved in wood and coated with a copious amount of gold. Most reliefs depict scenes from the life of Jesus Christ, as described in the Bible.
The image shows four of the reliefs, whose description is given below:
1. Bottom left – Crown of thorns placed on the head of Jesus
2. Bottom right – Resurrection
3. Top left – Jesus appears to Mary Magdalene
4. Top right – Ascension of Jesus to Heaven
Check the front-facing portion of the altarpiece for all the reliefs depicting the life of Christ.
Check these pages for a detailed description of the Retablo Mayor:
– Retablo Mayor – Altarpiece of the Main Chapel
– Canopy of the Altarpiece
– Virgen de la Sede (Virgin of the See) – Patron saint of the Seville Cathedral
Related Posts and Pages
– Seville Cathedral: An awe-inspiring architectural marvel
— Sala Capitular – The Chapter House of the Seville Cathedral
— Sacristía Mayor – The Main Sacristy of the Seville Cathedral
– La Giralda: A harmonious blend of Moorish and Renaissance architectural styles
– Las Setas of Seville – A modern artistic structure in a historical city
Copyright © 2020 – 2021 by Lawrence Rodrigues. All rights reserved.