Entrance to the sabhamantapa
The facade of the entrance to the sabhamantapa (congregation hall) is ornate with an ensemble of decorations. At the center is the door that opens int to the main hall and leads to the garbhagriha (inner sanctum). Carved into the lintel is a beautiful relief depicting an imposing figure of Garuda, an eagle-like bird used by Vishnu as his vehicle, clasping nagas (nagas) with human heads. Surrounding the door frame are the intricately carved pilasters and vertical stone beams. Carved into the beams on the outer edge is a series of beautiful female figures, likely depicting apsaras.
The stone pediment above the lintel consists of gods and demigods in the niches separated by geometrical patterns.
Durga Temple Images
– Exterior: Front view, Rear view, West side view
– Mukhamantapa: Exterior, Interior, Ornate pillar, Mithuna Shilpa, Vidyadhara couple, Romantic couple, Coiled Nagaraja, Matsya Chakra
– Interior: Dvārabandha, Sabhamantapa, Garbhagriha
– Pradakshina Patha: West facing view, East facing view,
– Devakoshtas: Shiva with his vehicle Nandi, Narasimhavatara, Vishnu riding Garuda, Varahavatara, Durga as Mahishasuramardini, Harihara
– Jālandharas: Swastika and lotus flower patterns, Rhombus-shaped perforations, Dharmachakra – 8 spokes, Dharmachakra – 12 spokes, Square perforations
Badami Chalukya Temples
– Durga Temple at Aihole
– Badami, Cave – 1, Cave – 2, Cave – 3, Cave – 4
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Bracket Figures
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Navaranga
– Belur Chennakeshava Temple – Garbhagriha Outer Wall
– Kappe Chennigaraya Shrine
– Somanathapura Keshava Temple
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.