Nataraja performing Shiva Tandava Nritya
The image shows a large-size sculptural relief carved on the right side of the Cave – 1 entrance depicting Nataraja (Dancing King), a manifestation of Shiva, performing the Tandava Nritya, a vigorous cosmic dance of creation, preservation, and destruction.
As you can see, Nataraja is standing with a dancing pose on a lotus pedestal with his 18 hands carrying a variety of objects, including a trishula (trident) and an ax. Standing behind him is his vehicle Nandi and standing to his left is his son Ganesha. There is an unidentified figure seated behind Ganesha.
Cave – 1 Images
– Facade and Entrance
– Cave – 1 Ground Plan
– Left side view: Dwarapala, Shiva-Parvati, Vrishabha-Kunjara
– Mukhamantapa right wall: Ardhanarishvara and Sage Bhringi
– Mukhamantapa left wall: Harihara – Fusion of Shiva and Vishnu
– Mukhamantapa ceiling: Nagaraja
– Interior view: Garbhagriha and pillars
– Garbhagriha: Shivalinga
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.