Coiled Nagaraja on the ceiling of Cave – 1
The image shows a beautiful bas-relief carved on the ceiling of the mukhamantapa (verandah) of Cave – 1, the first of the four rock-cut caves of Badami, Karnataka, India.
This intricately carved relief depicts Nagaraja, the mythical king of serpents, with multiple serpent heads and a human head attached to a torso extended by a spiraling serpent body.
Check the Coiled Nagaraja relief on the ceiling of the mukhamantapa of the Durga Temple at Aihole, a free-standing temple carved with many sculptures and reliefs similar to those in the Badami cave temples.
Cave – 1 Images
– Facade and Entrance
– Cave – 1 Ground Plan
– Right side view: Nataraja performing Tandava Nritya
– Left side view: Dwarapala, Shiva-Parvati, Vrishabha-Kunjara
– Mukhamantapa right wall: Ardhanarishvara and Sage Bhringi
– Mukhamantapa left wall: Harihara – Fusion of Shiva and Vishnu
– Interior: Garbhagriha and pillars
– Garbhagriha: Shivalinga
– Badami Cave – 1, Badami Cave – 2, Badami Cave – 3, Badami Cave – 4
– Durga Temple at Aihole
Copyright © 2019 – 2021 by YatrikaOne. All rights reserved.